COSPLAY SCHEDULE & CATEGORIES
Saturday May 14/2016 at 6pm- Kin 1 Arena HOSTED BY MARK MEER
SEGMENT 1; NOVICE CATEGORY
SEGMENT 2: KIDS COSPLAY SHOWCASE
SEGMENT 3: MASTERS CATEGORY
NOVICE CATEGORY – Beginner Cosplayers
- Entrants 13 years of age or older
- Costumer who has NOT won an award in any costume competition at the adult level
PRIZE Prize pack plus VIP passes to Northern FanCon 2017 and Winner plaque
KIDS COSPLAY SHOWCASE
Kids 12 & Under are invited to take part in the KIDS COSPLAY SHOWCASE. All participants receive a prize
MASTERS CATEGORY– Advanced Cosplayers (sponsored by Uniglobe Sunburst Travel)
- Entrants 13 years of age or older
- Costumers who have won ANY kind of award at the Master level
- Any costumer regardless of experience or past awards who wishes to compete as a Master
PRIZE Tickets for two plus accommodations and airfare for the convention of your choice in US or Canada* and a Winner plaque *Based on availability. Some conditions apply
PLEASE NOTE: Contestants must pre-register for the Cosplay Contest to participate. There will be no exceptions.
Contestants must check in between 10:00am – 1:00pm on Saturday, May 14/2016 in section Q of CN Centre. Prejudging times and location will be given at check in.
Groups or individuals who will be performing to specific music please email your music track to email@example.com in either MP3 or WAV format. Please label the music file with your name. Music must be received by no later than May 7/2016 or general music will be used for contestant walk on.
THE WINNER OF EACH CATEGORY WILL BE PHOTOGRAPHED AND FEATURED IN THE SCENE PG MAGAZINE AND THE PRINCE GEORGE CITIZEN NEWSPAPER
Please check to be sure that your costume abides by ALL rules. Register your costume below.
- All costumes must abide by the rules of the Northern FanCon dress code and weapons policy. If a policy violation is discovered by any of the convention staff or judges panel, that entry will be disqualified.
- Costumes should ideally be at least 70 percent “hand-made.” Costumes that do not meet that suggestion will not be turned away, but it may affect the total score of the participant.
- Purchased costumes are prohibited from entering the contest. However, exceptions can be made for costumes that contain “found” pieces, “modified” or, in other words, altered from its original design or purpose. Although this may affect the total craftsmanship score of the participant, it is not meant to discourage participants from entering the contest.
- Costumes that are considered as “kits” are allowed, so long as kit was assembled by the participant. All participants should be prepared to briefly explain the process through which their costume was created, altered or modified.
- Costumes that have won any major awards at any past convention/event, may NOT be entered into Northern FanCon’s 2016 Cosplay Contest. Such awards include, but are not limited to, “Best in Show,” “Best in Division” or “First Place,” “Second place,” “Third Place,” etc. Awards such as “Judges’ Award,” “Honorable Mention” and other, similar awards are not considered “major awards” for the purposes of this contest.
- A costume does not have to be worn by its creator. Costume creators may have a “model” for their costume, but the costume creator must be present at the pre-judging portion as well as the entire costume contest. Creators must be prepared to explain the creative process behind their costume.
- Groups that enter the contest will be judged as if the entire group were one person.
- Each contestant may present or wear one – and only one – costume. In the case of group entries, each member may wear one costume per person or may wear one costume together (i.e. a large costume that requires several people inside to move it).
- Your costume must allow you the freedom of movement so that you can go up and down steps. Should assistance be needed, you may have up to two assistants help you but they will not be provided by the convention staff. Should a costume be deemed as “excessively large” some accommodations can be made so that the contestant no longer is required to go up or down steps.
- No glitter, confetti, pyrotechnics, live flame or smoke generators of any kind are allowed in the venue.
- No electrical power connections will be provided. If your costume requires power, it must be part of your costume.
- No microphones will be provided.
- All contestants must be at least 13 years old to enter. Exceptions can be made by the panel of judges on a case-by-case basis. Should a contestant be under the age of 13, a legal guardian or parent MUST be present at the pre-judging as well as the entire Cosplay Contest.
- All Cosplay Contest participants must have a Northern FanCon badge or wristband in order to be eligible to compete (this includes Volunteer, Exhibitor, Press, and other specialty badges)
Entries may compete for awards in two major areas: Presentation (based on how the costumes appear when presented) Workmanship (based on close examination of the costumes backstage) Awards will be given by an unbiased and fair panel of judges.